Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tom & Jerry construction exercise + more

Here's my attempt to do an exercise from John K. blog:

  • Getting Back To The Primal Needs Of A Cartoonist
  • Use Line Of Action To Maintain Guts Of Pose

    This Tom & Jerry comic cover by Harvey Eisenberg has been highlighted by John as an example that shows off all the fundamentals of a good cartoon drawing. I tried to construct and replicate it by following John's instructions.



    One of the earliest attempts:


    The last and most successful one so far. The proportions are not 100% close to the original, but I concentrated mostly on the correct construction around the line of action. That's the main goal of this exercise.



    Finally, the cleaned-up and inked version, just to see if drawing mantains the solidity after removing the construction lines. I can see a handful of mistakes and differences from the original (Tom's arm is too skinny, mice are not particularly well drawn, the drawing lacks some dynamics and action of the original, etc). Tom's head and expression looks OK to me, and that was the hardest and most complex part of this picture.




    More exercises, based on another recent John K. post:
  • Good Art to Copy From Comic Covers

    Again, the same method was used. Construction, comparison with the original and clean-up. I put plenty of effort to be as faithful to the original as I can.















  • 2 comments:

    Caleb said...

    Nice work.

    patrick said...

    Great work! I really like your Porky Pig "desert adventure" one. Seems you toned it down a little bit in the final version though. But I love the way you draw Sylvester! (one of my favourite characters)